205 Rumely Street LaPorte, IN 46350
Technology Vision Statement
The following Technology Mission and Vision statements for the La Porte Community School Corporation have provided the direction for technology purchases, upgrades, professional development, and curricular integration in our school corporation over the last several years. These statements in conjunction with a well-defined Technology Strategic Plan have provided the foundation for our Digital Learning and One to World Learning initiatives.
Technology Vision Statement
La Porte Community School Corporation envisions a learning community where:
- Students are engaged in a challenging curriculum where students are engaged and actively involved.
- All students have equitable access to technology, connectivity, and online resources.
- Students are information literate so that they can face the challenges of living and working in a global economy and society.
- Technology is integrated into a challenging and interdisciplinary curriculum which addresses students’ specific needs, developmental levels, and learning styles.
- Technology is used as a tool to improve the depth of student work and provide an environment where all students, including at-risk and those with special needs, can become successful students, citizens, problem solvers, and life-long learners.
- Technology is used to improve communications, improve productivity, and enhance and enrich curriculum.
- Staff development is ongoing focusing on instructional and administrative applications for teachers, administrators, and all support staff.
- Our infrastructure supports voice, video, online and data applications in a safe and secured wired/wireless environment.
LPCSC Engages LPHS PR Students
The LPHS Public Relations students are using all forms of digital media to inform the community about activities and students' successes across our school corporation. These PR students set up meetings with each of our school principals, perform interviews with staff and students, shoot and edit videos and upload clips to the school corporation's web site, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and other forms of social media. The students enrolled in this class learn web design, filming, video editing, and social media ethics as well as the concepts and processes of good public relations coverage. They attend some after-school and evening events in order to cover all that our students are accomplishing. This is another example of LaPorte school corporation's commitment to actively engaging students in the "1:world" concept of technology integration.
Digital Learning Initiative
In 2014 LPCSC initiated a pilot for a 1:1 program at Boston and Kesling Middle Schools. Chromebook carts for both middle schools were purchased for our Language Arts and Reading classrooms. A digital integration team of teachers was established and trained on the SAMR model of Technology Integration and Google Apps for Education. This team of teachers was charged with mentoring and training their peers to integrate technology as a tool for enhancing student achievement.
This pilot was so successful that we added high school Language Arts and middle school and high school Social Studies to the program this year. We have also increased the number of staff members that serve on our Digital Integration Team of teacher mentor/trainers.
Summer Technology Workshops
The Technology Department offered summer workshops on Google Apps for Education this past summer. These workshops were well attended by the teaching staff.
Workshops on the new Skyward SIS have been planned for this summer. Online registration is available at http://www2.lpcsc.k12.in.us/inservice/ . If you have questions or suggestions for future workshops, please contact Gloria Ballard, Director of Technology.
Corporation Technology Committee
The La Porte Community School Corporation has a district technology committee made up of representatives from each of our school buildings, our 3 technology/data coaches, and a school board member. This committee meets once a month to discuss technology related issues. Our next meetings are scheduled for February 9 at Boston Middle School, March 8 at Handley Elementary, April 12 at Lincoln Elementary, and May 10 at Crichfield. Any staff member who would like to attend is always welcome.